Stephen Elliott Webb and Gail Lansing are an artistic power couple. Married for 18 years, the duo moved to Charleston in 2000 and keep their fingers on the pulse of the art industry. Stephen Elliott’s contemporary impressionist work is on display at Mitchell Gallery, while Gail is a consultant at the Grand Bohemian Gallery. We sat down with the couple for this week’s Friday Fiver.
1. Stephen Elliott, you said that when you paint, you are “in a relationship with the canvas.” Any relationship takes some time getting familiar. What’s the hardest part about starting a work?
I have to essentially clear my mind of any pressing issues, and set the stage with the right lighting and the right music…….then, I can enter that “Controlled Sense of Abandon” where I can paint or sculpt. It’s kind of like getting ready for a date…I have to be at my best. If I’m not, it might show.
2. Gail, when you are seeking new artists for the Grand Bohemian Gallery, what is the first thing you look for?
Passionate, career artists (even if they haven’t quit their day job yet).
3. What is an ideal relaxing Friday night in your home
STEPHEN ELLIOTT: Eating Gail’s food and re-hashing everything that happened in our lives that day. What? Wait…that’s every night!
GAIL: Cooking and entertaining friends at our home.
4. What is the last movie the two of you saw in a theater?
GAIL: I don’t go to movie theaters, drives Stephen nuts. I like watching movies at home and I’m hooked on the series Madame Secretary.
STEPHEN: I take my dad to the movies. The last one was the new James Bond movie, Spectre. I actually met “James Bond” …Daniel Craig, and his wife, Rachel Weisz, on Anson Street one night. I kept my cool, but jumped up and down like a little kid after they walked around the corner and couldn’t see me anymore!
5. If you could wave a magic wand over Charleston, what one thing would happen immediately?
STEPHEN ELLIOTT: MOMA would open a Museum in Charleston.
GAIL: Jaywalking would cease and a citywide “Don’t Block the Box” rule at our intersections.
Interested in being a Friday Fiver? Shoot us an e-mail at email@example.com